Simple Homeware DIY for every budget

We all love the idea of adding our own touch to our homes, to truly give it “character”. So when I came across this beautifully shaped glass bottle recently, I decided I wanted to put my own spin on it and turn it into a flower vase.

Simple Home-ware DIY Flower Vase

Items you’ll need:

  • Glass Bottle
  • Paint Primer
  • Small Tube of Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Piece of decorative string
  • Craft Glue / Small Sponge

The Before:

This is what the bottle looked like before my DIY project. I have dried the inside of it and cleaned the outside with a disinfectant.

Simple Home-ware DIY Flower Vase


Using the Rust-Oleum spray paint primer I have sprayed the surface of the bottle covering the entire bottle surface. For this project one coat of primer was more than enough. For health & safety reasons you should always use spray paint outside due to the fumes it creates.

Once the primer dried (approximately 20 minutes later) I applied the first coat of Annie Sloan Gray Chalk Paint, using a small paint brush. For this project (the same as for the primer) I found one coat of the paint was plenty. I didn’t paint to the very top of the head, I only painted half way through the head of the bottle, to avoid any visible spaces in between the string.


I left the paint to dry overnight. I then used a small sponge to apply the No More Nails glue on the head of the bottle and then slowly started draping my decorative string around the top of the bottle following the round shape of the bottle. This will give the bottle a more decorative look. I wanted to achieve more of a rustic look to this bottle, I felt the paint alone left it a little too bare.

I let the glue dry overnight and styled it with some artificial flowers I had at home already.


** TIP ** If you are using chalk paint you always have to seal the paint! For this project I didn’t but you have to, to ensure there will be no damage to the item and no scratches. To seal the paint you can use top coat varnish or finishing wax.

This project took a little over one day, only due to drying time. It’s important to let all the parts dry to ensure successful final effect.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this little project of mine & let me know if you enjoy this type of posts for future.

Joanna x