This year I was in charge of organizing a baby shower for my sister. We already had a baby shower for her few years back, it was held in her house with snacks, games and people over however this time around with a very energetic 5 year old running around I decided we will organise it somewhere outside.
I chose a private function room with lunch in a local hotel in which I used to work in (keep those connections strong 🙂 ) and with that you obviously cannot bring your own food. I wanted to still mark this occasion as a celebration and I thought what better way than with a nappy cake!
I searched many YouTube videos in order to come up with the most straight forward way to create a nappy cake with items that I already had in my house. I love the idea of a good DIY but I hate to see DYIs involving various items which you might not even have in the house or use ever again after that – the less waste the better.
What will you need?
- Nappies – I bought Newborn Nappies up to 5Kg – For this project I used 24 Nappies
- Cake Stand – I used a 10″ Cake Stand
- Super Glue – I used Gorilla Glue
- Kitchen Towel Roll
- Elastic Bands
- Decorative Ribbon
- Cake Topper – I used Faux Flowers as I had some left over from a previous DIY however it can be anything you like
** The Complete Method in Photographs is available below **
- Generously apply the glue on one end of the kitchen roll, measure out where the middle of the cake stand would be and stick the roll firmly onto it.
- While the glue is drying for few minutes, take 6 nappies and roll them up. Once you roll each nappy secure it in place with a rubber band about 1/4 from the top to stop it from unfolding. Some nappies have embellishments on them – if you want the cake to match ensure you roll each nappy on the same side. Some nappies are all one color and it will not make a difference.
- For the first “tier” of the cake you will need 6 nappies. Line them up along the kitchen roll on the cake stand.
- Once they are all in place, take a rubber band and place it over the 6 lined nappies keeping them all secure in one place.
- Slowly remove the small rubber bands from each individual nappy you rolled.
- Roll additional 12 Nappies, secure them with small rubber bands 1/4 from the top & lined them along the 6 nappies that are already securely standing on the cake stand.
- Once you have lined up the nappies, again take a large rubber band and secure them all in place. Remove the remaining rubber bands from individual nappies. This marks the end of tier one.
- Tier 2 is essentially tier one using the last 6 nappies.
- Once both tiers are finished, take your decorative ribbon and line it against the large rubber bands that hold all nappies together and tie it (Essentially covering them up). This is where you can get as creative as you like, have as many colors as you like. Do this for both tiers.
- Last but not least, place your cake topper on the top. HINT: Try to use something that can go into the kitchen roll and not actually fall into it.
** Cake Stand is available from Dealz for €1.50; Pack of 44 Nappies is available from Aldi for €2.50 **
The Finished Product
I hope you enjoyed this DIY Nappy Cake Post. I’d love to know if DIY is something you’d like to see more of, as I have many projects coming up.
Liked the post? Share in on Pinterest using the image below!